Saturday 15 September 2012

Easy as pie (with broccoli, champignons & bacon)

Let's start with something nice and easy. When I posted this picture on Facebook, I received a lot of messages asking me for the recipe:



Little Elf's 'Special Request Pie': My daughter (3 years old) wanted a pie with broccoli and champignons in it, so I made one for lunch during a weekend and added some bacon. I bought the dough for this one at the supermarket, though it's probably healthier  to make it from scratch, but I don't have the patience to make my own puff pastry ;-). I will be posting some recipes for other vegetable pies with home-made crusts at some point, I promise!


Broccoli, Champignon & Bacon Pie:

  • 1 puff pastry pie base (from the supermarket)
  • 450 g broccoli florets
  • 250 g champignons (quartered)
  • 150 g bacon lardons
  • 100 g grated gruyere cheese
  • 150 g cottage cheese
  • 1,5 dl condensed milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 tbsp wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • olive oil
  • (1 clove of garlic)
  • (salt) & pepper

- Briefly steam or boil the broccoli (4 or 5 mins). It should still be crunchy, as you still have to cook it in the oven.
- Fry the bacon lardons in a pan. I prefer them quite well done, but that's a matter of taste (and it's actually not that healthy, I know ;-)).
- Add some olive oil (and some garlic if you like it) and the champignons. Again, don't fry them too long as they still have to spend 20 mins in the oven. Season to taste.

- Preheat the oven to 200°C (or 180°C for a fan assisted oven). Beat the 2 eggs and mix them with the cottage cheese, the flour and the condensed milk, then add the champignons and lardons and stir well.
- Put the pie base in a quiche or pie pan (I tend to use a regular pie pan, which means I have to 'fold' the dough a bit at the sides.)
- Now put the broccoli on top of the pie base. You can just throw it in and spread it out a bit, or you can create nice circles with it, that's what I do ;-).
- Pour the champignon 'mixture' on top of the broccoli, sprinkle it with gruyere cheese and put it in the oven for 15 - 20 mins.

Enjoy!

(If anyone wants the Dutch translation of this recipe, send me a message and I will make sure you get it.)

1 comment:

  1. Owww ik wel graag een nederlandstallige uitleg ;-)
    Alvast bedankt en kijk er al naar uit X

    ReplyDelete