Saturday 22 September 2012

Easy as pie II: Vegetarian broccoli, champignon & cherry tomato pie


I made this vegetable pie on a lazy sunday, so I used dough from the supermarket instead of making it myself. This time I used fresh shortcrust pastry. You could use puff pastry as well, but I think shortcrust is nicer for this combination of vegetables. I haven't forgotten my promise to post some recipes with dough made from scratch, I definitely will do that at some point!


Broccoli, Champignons & Cherry Tomato Pie:

  • 1 shortcrust pastry pie base (from the supermarket)
  • 300 g broccoli florets
  • 250 g champignons (quartered)
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes (the sweetest you can find)
  • 2 handfuls of  grated cheese (I used a mixture of parmesan, rigatello & mozzarella)
  • 150 g cottage cheese
  • 1,5 dl condensed milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 tbsp wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • olive oil
  • a pinch of thyme
  • tsp of marjoram
  • (salt) & pepper

- Briefly steam or cook the broccoli (4 or 5 mins). It should still be crunchy, as you still have to cook it in the oven.
- Fry the champignons in olive oil. Again, don't fry them too long as they still have to spend 20 mins in the oven. Season with thyme, marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.

- Preheat the oven to 200°C (or 180°C for a fan assisted oven). Beat the 2 eggs and mix them with the cottage cheese, the flour and the condensed milk.
- Put the pie base in a quiche or pie pan (I tend to use a regular pie pan, which means I have to 'fold' the dough a bit at the sides.)
- Now put the broccoli on top of the pie base. You can just throw it in and spread it out a bit, or you can create nice circles with it, that's what I do ;-). Then add the champignons and decorate with the cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Pour the egg 'mixture' on top of the vegetables and put it in the oven for 15 - 20 mins.

(Dutch recipe available on demand)

No comments:

Post a Comment